Why Students Entering School Later Than Usual is a Good Idea

CSA-Images

Kelly Cid and Marley Martinez

Entering school later than usual is something O’donovan students or any other student has thought about. But have you ever wondered what would happen if we did enter later? These are some of the positive effects it would have on us students and teachers along with explaining why it would be a good idea.

If we enter later into school every day, we would be able to get more sleep and have more energy in our bodies. We would also be able to reduce the number of tardies we get throughout the year, by coming to school on time. We can be able to eat in the mornings without being rushed. Being able to eat in the mornings can also lead us to have extra brainpower, we won’t be focused on how hungry we are and we could be more focused on the lesson being provided.

In addition, we would be able to focus on our classes and students could also participate in the lessons being given. Along with students not being as confused about the lesson and on the worksheets that they have to work on, they would also be learning some new things every day. Failing or getting NP’s (Not Passing) grades would also be able to decrease in classes since we would be paying attention and passing every lesson.

Not only does this affect us students in school but it can also affect our personal lives and the way we act. According to one of the Better Health Channel articles, “Sleep research suggests that a teenager needs between eight and 10 hours of sleep every night. … Regularly not getting enough sleep leads to chronic sleep deprivation. This can have dramatic effects on a teenager’s life, impacting their mental wellbeing, increasing their risk of depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem.” This shows that not getting enough sleep will affect the way we act. This can also interfere with the way we act towards others and the way that we feel about ourselves, which can both be positive or even sometimes negative results. As said in the quote, it can also lead to low self-esteem which is not good for ourselves.

Many people may say that the reason teenagers are sleep deprived is because they sleep later than they’re supposed to. This may be the reason, but if we sleep earlier, we get much more sleep meaning that we’ll be gaining much more energy than we need. Not only is this good but in ways it can also be bad because according to Amerisleep, “Too much sleep on a regular basis can increase the risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and death according to several studies done over the years. Too much is defined as greater than nine hours. The most common cause is not getting enough sleep the night before, or cumulatively during the week.” This information can help many people in knowing what “oversleeping” can cause. This also shows a few ways that can help us prevent any of these things from happening to any of us.

Entering school later is not just a good idea for students, but it also goes towards teachers. If students enter later, then teachers would enter later too. If teachers entered later, there would be less traffic and they wouldn’t be as stressed. According to a Healthline article “When you don’t get enough sleep, you may also increase your risk of certain cancers, diabetes, and even car accidents.” This conveys that adults, like teachers, would have a less chance in an accident in the mornings just to get to their jobs. Teachers entering later is also a good idea because if they live far away, it takes them a while to get to school on time, so they wouldn’t be as rushed. If they entered later, they would also have energy throughout the day to give the lesson they want to give properly and the way it should be given.

There were many things said about the dangers of too little sleep and stress caused by waking up early for school, but let’s see if our schools can change the time we enter. Having to wake up early might not lead us to showing up with our best selves and we should because as said in the circle commitments of Christine O’donovan, “I commit to showing up with my best self.” Therefore, students and teachers should enter later into school so that we can prevent the incidents that may occur.