Bringing Our Own Lunch

"Students need to learn how to eat healthy in some way..."

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bringing Our Own Lunch

O'Donovan students wait on line for school-provided lunches.

Most schools offer breakfast and lunch to their students. Some of these schools also offer the opportunity for students to bring their own lunch if they choose to, but not in this case. Christine O’Donovan Middle School doesn’t allow their students to bring their own lunch. Christine O’Donovan Middle School should give students the opportunity to bring their own food.

Students should be able to bring food that they know they will eat. When they come to school everyday, students depend on the school food to prevent them from getting hungry but most students don’t like the school food. This makes students hungry the rest of the day. Especially for those who stay after school and have to wait until they get home to eat something they like. Many might disagree with this opinion because the point of school lunches is to prevent obesity in America, but we can teach students to eat healthy if they bring their own food. Before letting students bring their own lunch, we can introduce them to a few expectations so that they know that they can bring their own food as long as it’s healthy. People might also disagree with this because we already know that students won’t bring healthy food, but if this does ever happen, we can add a few rules that state the amount of each food group they should bring. We can teach students about the food pyramid showing them how much of each food group they should bring.

Christine O’Donovan Middle School should give students the opportunity to bring their own lunch. A school’s job is to teach students to prepare them for their future. Students need to learn how to eat healthy in some way and this could be the solution. These students are our future and we have to teach them to be healthy. Out future depends on it.