Filed under News, Uncategorized

MLK’s Influence Lives On

A Black History Month Celebration

Back to Article
Back to Article

MLK’s Influence Lives On

Unknown - Source: Los Angeles Sentinel

Unknown - Source: Los Angeles Sentinel

Unknown - Source: Los Angeles Sentinel

At Ouchi-O’Donovan we hold a Black History Month assembly every February. This inspired me to write about Martin Luther King, Jr. and about what he did for the world.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was born January 15, 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia. He was a baptist minister and a civil-rights activist. The role that MLK played was ending the legal segregation of black people. Martin did non-violent protests to help stop segregation. He got the idea for non-violent protests from Mahatma Gandhi. King knew that if he did violence, people that support segregation would take the violence of Martin’s protests against him and make segregation even worse, but he didn’t. One example of non- violence that MLK did was a bus boycott. King influenced, the civil rights movement because he was able to show that violence isn’t always the answer. Non-violence can help gain the rights  people need.

He was the second of three children, and was first named Michael, after his father. King, Jr. and his siblings were born into a middle class family. As a child, King faced racial discrimination and learned a lot about segregation. King was a student who went to college at age 15. He graduated at a young age because he skipped 9th and 12th grade.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot at the age of 39. James Earl Ray was the person that killed Martin Luther King. MLK was killed at a hotel in Memphis, Tennessee. Ray killed King from 200 feet away at a nearby motel striking him in the neck. King died an hour later at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Memphis.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Baptist minister and social activist who was the one that led the civil rights movement in the U.S. from the mid-1950s and got killed in 1968. King is remembered for his non-violent protests against segregation and his own speech called “ I Have a Dream.”  We still remember MLK because we have parks and streets named after him because we know the important things that MLK did for the whole world.

About the Writer
Kinberlin Cruz, Reporter

Hi my name is Kinberlin Cruz and I am proud to be a person that can inform you about what is happening in your school that is O’Donovan. I have lived...